2007/08/07 13:45 Hiroshi Deguchi, "Systems Sciences Toward the New Liberal Arts for the Global Society of 21st Century", ISSS Tokyo 2007
This digest was created in real-time during the meeting, based on the speaker's presentation(s) and comments from the audience. The content should not be viewed as an official transcript of the meeting, but only as an interpretation by a single individual. Lapses, grammatical errors, and typing mistakes may not have been corrected. Questions about content should be directed to the originator. The digest has been made available for purposes of scholarship, posted on the ISSS web site by David Ing.
Hiroshi Deguchi, Leader of 21 Century COE Program ABSSS, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
Problems of systems science
- Little influence for connecting science and humanities
Mission of SGSR: change isomorphy to commensurability
System concepts popular, e.g. feedback
- But little linkage to CAS or SSME
Haven't established a philosophy of science for artificial and social semantics
Gap between social and general systems theory
- Luhmann is based on macro communication processes
Foundation of epistemology
- Kripke: causal chain/ but too naive
- Contrast to professional, vocation or technical curriculum
- Includes literature, language, philosophy, math and science
Classical liberal arts of the Oriental world
- Mo-tzu (490-403 BC)
- Philosophy partially from architectural concepts
- School came from lower classes
- Ethics as sympathy (sometimes wrongly translated to universal love)
- Peace keep against attacks of war.
- Activities included: logic, rhetoric, optics, ethics, peace keeping and political practice (no mucis)
First social simulation by Mo-Tzu B.C. 400
Liberal arts as free from what?
- Mission traditionally to serve God and man, and to become free from all others except God in the context of pre-modern society
What are the life world platforms of the 21st century?
We are living partially embedded and partially disembedded society
- Semantic differentiation = cross cultural platform
So, propose: new liberty under the cross-cultural, trans-state and trans-civilization context
Draw: intellectual map
- New liberal arts should support the ability of drawing the intellectual map of knowledge
- 2x2: participatory intersubjective; vs. rational and normative
- 2x2: market vs. non-market; public vs. private
- One: gap betwen social systems theory and other systems theory
- e.g. Luhmann gave different meaning to "system boundary"
- Other: gap between emergent CAS and ABM
Gaps are becoming more serious
- Need the ways of the inter-subjective
To overcome the commensurability problem ...
Ten new liberal arts domains
- 1. Mathematical thoery of systems modeling that includes mathematical aspects of systemic properties
- 2. Conflict resolution and accommodation
- 3. System modeling and practices of participatory approach to construct the shared knowledge inside organizations or societies
- 4. Extension of rational decision-making, including evolutionary and learning aspects of decision-making
- 5. Anticipatory systems theory and the internal model
- 6. Integration of functional and bottom-up approach
- 7. Social semantics and communication theory for inter-subjective construction of shared understanding
- 8. Systems sciences for cultural contexts, services analysis and value creation: focused on SSME
- 9. Agent-based social simulation: systems dynamics provides functional stock and flow points of view, need to extend from bottom-up approach.
- Social architecture design by SOARS, not for prediction, but for comunication, sharing of internal model and option evaluation
- 10. Systems philosophy and methodology under communication with traditional philosophy of sciences
- Liberal arts is not working well at universities
- An individual who can speak multiple languages, not bringing together disciplinary people as a group